What is micro-needling?
Micro-needling is a treatment which uses small needles to cause multiple shallow punctures in the skin. The microscopic channels produced stimulate the body to mount a wound healing response. As your skin repairs, the production of collagen and elastin is triggered which rejuvenates the skin. It is a particularly effective technique for treating acne scarring, enlarged pores, sun damage and skin ageing and can be used in association with PRP.
Dr Edwards Aesthetics uses a SkinPen® micro-needling device, designed to be used only by medical professionals, and probably the most advanced device available for this treatment. The state-of-the-art, medical grade SkinPen® technology is designed to stimulate your skin’s natural ability to repair itself. In effect, SkinPen® helps to “awaken” your skin during the wound healing process. SkinPen® uses adjustable length, disposable straight needles to penetrate at a 90-degree angle. This adjustability allows for differences in skin thickness and skin types. The vertical technology allows for extra precision.
SkinPen® does not suffer the difficulties encountered with dermarollers : bending of needles, variable depth of penetration and an inability to effectively treat difficult to reach areas of the face such as around the nose, mouth or eyes.
To ensure your comfort during the procedure, we will apply a topical numbing agent. Most patients report feeling just the slight vibration of SkinPen® during the procedure, which takes from 30 minutes to an hour. A course of treatment will usually consist of between 3 and 6 sessions over a period of weeks or months.
Immediately after the treatment the skin will appear slightly pink to red, similar to a mild to moderate sunburn. The natural healing process takes time, so it can take up to six weeks before you see significant results.
The benefits of a SkinPen® micro-needling procedure
- SkinPen® micro-needling is minimally invasive and a quick procedure.
- Does not induce skin sensitivity to UV light.
- Little recovery downtime makes SkinPen® ideal for a busy lifestyle, and a great place to start for aesthetic procedures.
- Results are generated from your own skin’s natural collagen remodelling and elastin.
- SkinPen® may be used on all skin types.
- Ideal for reducing the signs of ageing.
- A versatile, precision design for use on most all parts of the body including face, neck, and décolletage.
- No risk of permanent skin discolouration.